Episode 71: Creating Your Own Economy and Social Media Tips for Small Business; Aug 2, 2011.
Today we split the show with two unrelated topics. I don’t like to do that very often but sometimes I feel like I need to. Ok, I’ll be honest: I didn’t want to talk about social media for a full 45 minutes. As I was preparing for the show I saw that my friend Jon White did a podcast on creating your economy and I thought that was a good topic to address today since it follows on the heels of last week’s show about the Great Recovery. So, I’ve officially announced our challenge for the month of August: Time to create your own economy! We want you to take specific actions this month to stimulate your individual household economy and let us and others know what you’re doing.
Don’t forget: Living In Financial Excellence airs LIVE every Tuesday at 10 a.m. CST. You can watch live and join the chat at financialexcellence.net/live-show
- Before I got anywhere with the show I had to comment about the debt ceiling situation and our leaders’ total failure to accomplish anything with their compromise bill that will just prolong the agony until after the next election. Talk about a spineless cop-out!
- I talked a little about the social media tools I use for my businesses and why I use them.
- Janelle and I are a little conservative when it comes to business and social media, especially Facebook. We believe business and personal relationships should be separate. Consequently, we’re not likely to accept friend requests from people we only know professionally. Sorry – it’s not that we don’t like you. We just don’t want out personal lives out there mingled with our professional lives.
- I also don’t blindly follow Twitter users. While I don’t reject too many, I don’t follow people who haven’t even uploaded a photo or who have had a profile for years but never sent a single tweet.
- What can you do this month to stimulate your own economy? Work an extra job, do a budget, sell some stuff, invest more for the future? Let us know what steps you’re taking. If we all take care of our individual economies, THE Economy will take care of itself.
- You can influence what we talk about in future shows. Simply fill out this three-minute survey.
Like what you hear? Visit the iTunes store and leave a review or leave a comment below. Or call our listener feedback line and leave a voice message that we can share on the air. As always, we appreciate your feedback!