Episode 94: How and Why I Got Out of Debt: My Lame Story, Jan 24, 2012.
Last week I was interviewed by Jon White on his Debt Free Living podcast about how my wife and I got out of debt and how we live without debt today. I’m pretty modest and I don’t think we have a sensational story, but it’s still worth sharing since we don’t talk about the specifics a whole lot on our show. Plus, it saved me a lot of prep time this week, so I’m taking the easy way out ;o).
Sponsor: MozyPro Online Backup: Simple, Automatic & Secure Backup http://mozy.com/pro
Don’t forget: Living In Financial Excellence airs LIVE every Tuesday at 10 a.m. CST. You can watch live and join the chat at financialexcellence.net/live-show
- We have a new sponsor for the podcast. Mozy Pro for Business is a fast, simple way to back up your business so you don’t have to worry when your hard drive crashes.
- I don’t often talk about our journey to freedom from debt on the show. Quite frankly I think it’s a boring story. I mean, we didn’t have tons of consumer debt when we started our journey. Having said that, we still had a moment in our lives where we decided we never wanted to owe anyone anything again.
- We actually had been free of consumer debt before, but we for some reason thought that car payments were just a way of life. So, even though we were debt free except the house, we jumped right back into a truck payment. Boy was that stupid!
- Now that we’ve matured financially, we realize we don’t want to ever owe someone again. We’ve learned to communicate about money and our priorities for money. We’ve learned to tell our money where to go. We’ve learned to be proactive with money instead of reactive.
- Because we’re debt free, we have so many more options with our careers, our relationship, our retirement, and our giving. It’s a really cool place to be when you don’t owe anyone anything!
- Jon let me do a shameless plug for my other business, Grate Outdoor Solutions, where we provide the coolest camping and outdoors gear on the market. If it isn’t cool, we don’t sell it. Thanks, Jon!
- You can influence what we talk about in future shows. Simply fill out this three-minute survey.
Like what you hear? Visit the iTunes store and leave a review or leave a comment below. Or call our listener feedback line and leave a voice message that we can share on the air. As always, we appreciate your feedback!